IWM’s Lives of the First World War tells the stories of individuals from across Britain and the Commonwealth who served in uniform and worked on the home front.
This innovative digital project ran from 12 May 2014 to 19 March 2019. From individuals and families, to communities and organisations, more than 160,000 people collaborated to piece together the lives of people who experienced the conflict, through sharing anecdotes and digitising material that has been hidden away in attics until now.
Watch our short film to find out more.
We would like to acknowledge the kind and invaluable support of the following organisations and individuals, who all contributed to the success of the project:
- Academic Advisory Group
- Auckland War Memorial Museum
- Charles Skey Educational Trust
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- In From the Cold Project
- Libraries and Archives Canada
- Lives of the First World War Members
- Lives of the First World War Volunteers
- National Archives Australia
- National Archives of Ireland
- The Long, Long Trail
- The National Archives
- The Pearce Conscientious Objector Register