Borough of Rawtenstall: St. Peter's (RC) Church, Newchurch-in-Rossendale. (No known Memorial or Roll of Honour)

Borough of Rawtenstall: St. Peter's (RC) Church, Newchurch-in-Rossendale. (No known Memorial or Roll of Honour)

In 1891 Canon Mussley, parish priest of St James the Less, Rawtenstall bought a former Methodist church in Newchurch-in-Rossendale, called Mount Tabor, and dedicated it to St Peter. A year later the mission was attached to St Joseph's, Stacksteads, Bacup. In February 1915 Fr. Henry was appointed the first parish priest and his first task was to secure the purchase of the recently closed Newchurch Grammar School in order to replace the old chapel and school. This temporary arrangement opened in December 1916 and served whilst the original school and chapel were demolished. In October 1927 the foundation stone for the present church building was laid and the new chapel, standing on the site of the old chapel and school was opened in July 1928. NOTES: 1. List of known casualties. John Bradley 2. List of known "Served and Returned" Joseph Connolly MM

Created by: Ian105013

CSV Export
  • Profile picture for Joseph Connolly

    Born 1895

    British Army 240996 Private East Lancashire Regiment 1'5th Battalion

  • Profile picture for John Bradley

    Born 1897

    Died 1915

    British Army 47141 Gunner Royal Garrison Artillery 19th Siege Bty.

    British Army 47141 Gunner Royal Garrison Artillery Fort Rowner, Gosport