Original Bank of Liverpool & Martins WW1 Memorial
A bronze memorial tablet was produced for the Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited, designed to be cast several times, and was installed in 1922-23 at Head Office in Liverpool, the 68 Lombard Street office in London, and at other regional District Offices. Headed, “Gratefully dedicated by the proprietors of the Bank of Liverpool and Martins Limited to the memory of members of the staff who fell in the Great War”, with “They whom this tablet commemorates were numbered among those who, at the call of King and Country, left all that was dear to them, endured hardness, faced danger, and finally passed out of the sight of men by the path of duty and self sacrifice, giving up their own lives that others might live in freedom. Let those that come after see to it that their names be not forgotten.”. The memorial at Water Street in Liverpool is still in situ, although the building is no longer a bank, and there is also one on display at Barclays Head Office at 1 Churchill Place.