Cap badge of the King's Own Scottish Borderers
The badge, with its distinctive Cross of St Andrew & Edinburgh Castle, was worn by Captain William George Douglas Watson, 5th Battalion KOSB. He was commissioned into the 1/5th when it was a Territorial Unit in March 1909. He remained with it in August 1914 when it was mobilised as a regular unit and was promoted Lieutenant in that November. He landed with them at Cape Helles on the Gallipoli Peninsula in June 1915. The battalion suffered severe casualties during the following eight month campaign, during which he became a Captain. The battalion withdrew to Egypt for reinforcement and then on to Palestine when, in the second Battle of Gaza, William was missing in action on the third and final day, 19th April 1917. This was just a week after his younger brother, Kenneth Clennell Watson, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, had been missing in action at Arras in France. Their brother, Patrick Balfour Watson, 15th Battalion Canadian Infantry, had been killed in France the year before, 1916.