Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum memorial plaque
The Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum plaque was located in St Andrew's Hospital in Bow, but has now been relocated to Newham General Hospital, in St Andrew's Wing. The plaque, which is constructed of marble with a central inscribed panel, records the names of officers of the Asylum who lost their lives in WW1. The inscription on the memorial reads: Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum To the memory of the Officers of this institution who lost their lives while serving with the Imperial Forces during the Great War of 1914-1919. Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori. Those recorded are: Nellie Clarke, Nurse, Serbian Nursing Service; Herbert Charles Frost, Lodge Porter, Kings Royal Rifle Corps; Frank Hatley, Labourer, Middlesex Regiment; Helen Charlotte Hetterley, Nurse, Queen Alexandra's Nursing Service; Albert Evelyn Fairfax Kynaston, Assistant Medical Officer. H.M.S.Devonshire; William Spring, Stoker, East Surrey Regiment; Kate Rosina Sturt, Nurse, Queen Alexandra's Nursing Service.