1 pounder Vickers Gun
This gun was produced in 1900. The Vickers Son & Maxim despatch book records its sale to the British South Africa Comany in April of that year. The history of its employment in South Africa unfortunately remain obscure, although evidently it survived the Boer War and was returned to the UK. On 7 August 1914 the gun was issued to the Anti-Aircraft Gun Station, Gresham College, London. It subsequently became the first weapon to fire a shot in the defence of London on 8 September 1915 when a Zeppelin airship was spotted over Holborn at 10.37pm. The gun opened fire at 10.44pm and fired a total of 11 rounds, and was ordered to "Cease Fire" at 10.56pm. The Duty Officer in the Gresham Sub-Control was a Sub-Lieut. Charles ffoulkes RNVR, who became the Secretary and first Curator of the Imperial War Museum.The gun was removed to Shingle Street Aircraft Battery on 25 September 1915, then to Ipswich Anti-Aircraft Gun Station in October 1915, and then returned to Chatham on 19 February 1917.