Blackmoor Memorial Cloisters
Photograph of the war memorial cloisters in Blackmoor, Hampshire.
Situated between the school and the church, the cloister arches have commemorative metal plaques on their walls. The central plaque is in the form of a niche forming a wall fountain with lion’s mouth as water spout, listing names beneath the heading “CHILDREN REMEMBER THE NAMES OF THE MEN/ FROM THIS VILLAGE WHO FEARLESSLY GAVE THEIR/ LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE WAR OF 1914-1918”. There is an additional plaque with further names for WWI and WWII inset into a brick arch, headed “IN SACRED MEMORY/ OF THE MEN FROM/ THIS PARISH WHO ALSO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ TWO WORLD WARS/ 1914 – 1918”. In the centre of the cloister is a stone wheel cross on a tapered column and plinth.