Robert Mathers Mann was born in 1869 in Bothwell, son of James Mann, partner in the prominent Glasgow drapery firm of Mann, Byars & Co, whose extensive premises were in Argyle Street, Glassford Street and Virginia Street. Robert Mann initially worked for the firm as a drapery warehouseman before becoming an Insurance Inspector. As well as being a member of Queen’s Park, Robert Mann was secretary and treasurer of the Holy Loch Sailing Club, and a member of Troon Golf Club and Busby Bowling Club. He was a book collector who lent a number of items to the Burns exhibition at the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts in 1896. In the early 1900s Robert and Margaret Mann moved from Kelvinside to “Rhubeg” in Busby with daughter, Mary, and son, James, who died at the age of three in 1910. During the war Robert Mann held the rank of Major in the 5th Battalion Scottish Rifles. The commanding officer of the 5th Battalion, Lieutenant Colonel Robert Marr Benzie, was also a member of Queen’s Park Football Club. Robert Mann was working on the army’s General Staff in Stirling when he died of chronic hepatitis, aged forty eight, on 20 November 1917. He is buried in East Kilbride Cemetery, where his name was added to the memorial stone previously erected for his son. In addition to Queen’s Park, Robert Mann is commemorated on war memorials at East Kilbride, Greenbank Church in Clarkston, Busby Bowling Club and Troon Golf Club.
Created by: Fred109035